The History of the Apostolic Faith Mission of Namibia (AFM of Namibia) may be traced back as far as 1919. The Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ was not brought to our country through a singular and organized effort by one church or missionary organisation but came in different waves and at different times. God raised up ordinary people to do his work. Even though most were unordained, they were passionate and thus the Good News reached Namibia.
The AFM Church was established in South Africa in 1908 through the ministry of John G Lake and Thomas Hessmallach from the USA The AFM family of churches have congregations in 23 countries of the world, mostly in Africa, but also in Europe. The Apostolic Faith Mission of Namibia is the oldest and largest Pentecostal Church in Namibia. Currently we have 110 congregations in Namibia, of which 60% are in the North.
Training of pastors in the AFM of Namibia
In addition to the 40 pastors (some of which who are retired, but still active) quite a number of elders leading the congragations have been trained. For many years pastors of the AFM of Namibia were trained at the various institutions in South Africa. They did this either by contact - or distance education. In 1996 the AFM church in Grootfontein, under pastor Louis Prinsloo, started a Bible School.
AFM among the San people
There were no San (Bushmen) congregations until the Grootfontein AFM congregation reached out to them in 1996. They started a Bible School among the farm workers and out of that initiative some of them were converted and baptized. Daan Musheshe, of the Vasikela San tribe and one of the Bible School students received a calling while he was a herdsman on a commercial farm. In 1998 he established the first San speaking AFM congregations in Bushman land.